|War Pigs from Black Sabbath's Paranoid album|
This song, along with the title track, are highlights of Black Sabbath's first studio album. This song especially secures their unique place in the history of punk rock music as well as pioneering heavy metal. Today, the song is considered to be one of Black Sabbath's best works, as well as a significant milestone in the enduring history of hard rock and heavy metal.
Following is a breakdown of significant lines in the song:
Evil minds that plot destruction: people who authorize wars but generally stay way from fighting
They leave that role to the poor: The Vietnam War took place in Vietnam, a third world country. After WWII ended, leaders of US, Soviet Union and Briton gathered and agreed to hold any forthcoming wars only in third world countries. In fact, WWII was the last war to be fought over developed countries. So Black Sabbath, in this line, refers to the fact that politicians use the poor, who looking for a living, to fight the war on their behalf against other poor civilians.
Treating people just like pawns in chess: a great line! Chess is a essentially a war fought on board between two parties. The person who moves the pieces, as stated earlier, refrain from getting involved in the battle. Furthermore, Black Sabbath is conveying the idea that politicians consider militants as worthless as chess pieces.
Wait 'til their judgement day comes: There's a reference to God in the song. This lines refers to the fact that those who waged war will be finally punished by God on the Judgement Day.
Begging mercy for their sins: the politicians asking for God's forgiveness for the deaths that result as a consequence of the war(s) they themselves started.
Satan laughing spreads his wings: Satan is amused by politicians' begging of forgiveness.
- Generals gathered in their masses
- Just like witches at black masses
- Evil minds that plot destruction
- Sorcerers of death's construction
- In the fields the bodies burning
- As the war machine keeps turning
- Death and hatred to mankind
- Poisoning their brainwashed minds
- Oh lord yeah!
- Politicians hide themselves away
- They only started the war
- Why should they go out to fight?
- They leave that role to the poor
- Time will tell on their power minds
- Making war just for fun
- Treating people just like pawns in chess
- Wait 'til their judgement day comes
- Now in darkness world stops turning
- Ashes where the bodies burning
- No more war pigs have the power
- Hand of God has struck the hour
- Day of judgement, God is calling
- On their knees the war pig's crawling
- Begging mercy for their sins
- Satan laughing spreads his wings
- Oh lord yeah!