Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Song Meaning: All My Loving by The Beatles

ARTIST: THE BEATLES | ALBUM: WITH THE BEATLES | RELEASED: 1964
The song is generally considered to be The Beatles' first North American hit. It reached #1 in Canada, but only managed to top as high as #45 on US popular music chart. However, upon the re-release during The Beatles visit of the US, the single shot to the top of the charts. In fact, prior to prior to performing the song on Ed Sullivan's Show, Paul McCartney said, "when we first released this, it didn't do nothing. But now it's doing something."

The lyrics were written by Paul, and describes a lady he had to leave behind as  a result of the band's traveling around the world. "Close your eyes and I'll kiss you / Tomorrow I'll miss you" states Paul's reluctant to leave his lady. "I'll write home every day" is his promise not to forget his girlfriend. This was still the 1960s, and Twitter wasn't all that popular - simply due to the fact it didn't exist. So writing letters was one way of keep in touch with family and friends.

The second verse perpetuates more of Paul's promises. "I'll pretend that I'm kissing/ the lips I am missing" probably means he is not going to cheat with another woman while on the road. "And hope that my dreams will come true" describes homesickness, and that Paul is dreaming of coming home as soon as he get a chance.

The themes, and short length of the song was perfect for radio. Along with all other Beatles' songs, even to this day, radio stations prefer playing their songs extensively.




Close your eyes and I'll kiss you
Tomorrow I'll miss you
Remember I'll always be true
And then while I'm away
I'll write home every day
And I'll send All My Loving to you

I'll pretend that I'm kissing
the lips I am missing
And hope that my dreams will come true
And then while I'm away
I'll write home every day
And I'll send All My Loving to you

All My Loving I will send to you
All My Loving, darling I'll be true

Close your eyes and I'll kiss you
Tomorrow I'll miss you
Remember I'll always be true
And then while I'm away
I'll write home every day
And I'll send All My Loving to you

All My Loving I will send to you
All My Loving darling I'll be True
All My Loving All My Loving ooh
All My Loving I will send to you

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be automatically reviewed by the system, and by the author afterwards. So follow the guidelines listed below; failure to do so will result in your comment being removed.

- Keep comments nice and clean
- Don't include commercials/links to products
- You may include a link to your website if it's relevant

Facebook Page

Old School Followers