Thursday, August 15, 2013

Song Meaning + Background: Going to California by Led Zeppelin

ARTIST: led zeppelin | ALBUM: led zeppelin iv | RELEASED: 1971
"Going to California" from Led Zeppelin IV
"Going to California" is about Robert Plant's post-teenage years when he was going through some identity crisis. The song is also based on the lives of his fellow bandmates as well.

Robert  Plant was just twenty years old when was auditioned by Jimmy Page, who was just four years senior, for New Yard Birds which eventually became Led Zeppelin.

Touring with Led Zeppelin on the road for young Plant was a new experience. For the first time he was dealing with drugs and groupies, and slowly adopting a rock n' roll lifestyle.

"Going to California" was released after a few years of forming Led Zeppelin, and it was written from the songwriter's point of view - reflecting on his old days on the road. Jimmy Page also contributed to the lyrics.

Let me know what you think of the song in the comments section.


Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.
Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart.
Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.
Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same.
The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today.
The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake
as the children of the sun began to awake.

Seems that the wrath of the Gods
Got a punch on the nose and it started to flow;
I think I might be sinking.
Throw me a line if I reach it in time
I'll meet you up there where the path
Runs straight and high.

To find a queen without a king,
They say she plays guitar and cries and sings... la la la
Ride a white mare in the footsteps of dawn
Tryin' to find a woman who's never, never, never been born.
Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams,
Telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Lyrics from: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ledzeppelin/goingtocalifornia.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be automatically reviewed by the system, and by the author afterwards. So follow the guidelines listed below; failure to do so will result in your comment being removed.

- Keep comments nice and clean
- Don't include commercials/links to products
- You may include a link to your website if it's relevant

Facebook Page

Old School Followers