Friday, November 14, 2014

Song Meaning and Analysis: Just Close Your Eyes by Waterproof Blonde

song meaning of just close your eyes by waterproof blonde and cover by story of the year
Story of the Year did a cover of Just Close Your Eyes. Song was originally by Waterproof Blonde
The song was originally recorded by Waterproof Blonde. According to Google they were active for only three years, from 2002 to 2005. "Just Close Your Eyes" was released in 2004, and it was made popular as result of WWE wrestler Christian using it as his entrance song. Few years later, in 2009 another band by the name of Story of the Year did a cover of the song, and it took the place of Christian's previous entrance song.

I personally am a huge fan of the cover song, and even thought it was the original work by Story of the Year until I looked it up. I was hooked on the song from the very beginning - it was that good. In contrast to the original work, the cover song certainly has the hard rock distortion a rock n' roll fan craves for.


The lyrics of the song were very well written, and has an in-depth meaning that can easily be attributable to one's personal struggles. There's a lot I can talk about it, and I'm sure I'll leave some of it off but I'll do my best.

Song meaning: 

As in most songs, the first verse "Just Close Your Eyes" ( Deceived by my eyes... voice say I'm you ) introduces us to the upbringing of the person of which the centers around. Let's call him James. This is made clear in first two lines of the first verse, where it states "all I was told I should see" and "person they taught me to be" eludes to the fact that someone superior ( adult, parent, or some other deity ) is pulling the strings; someone is telling how to live a very submissive and depressing "dark" life. But all of a sudden James realizes it's time to breakaway and start a new life, and the voices he hears while being lost in the darkness belongs to non other that himself.

There's a lot of elusions to eyes in the song; obliviously they were made metaphorically. Eyes symbolizes knowledge. You surely can learn a lot by observing other people, places and the world in general. We need eyes to read - that's the most common way humans ( at least some of us ) learn new stuff. But there's also a wealth of knowledge we can learn by rolling our eyes inwards and taking a deep look at ourselves, thus the chorus "if you close you eyes...." That's in fact the whole point of this song, in short. Sometimes the answers lies no where else but within ourselves, and we have are the ones who have to do the leg work to discover it.

So "inside of the me a light was turned on" of captures that realization, and "and then I was alive" states the fact that James has finally found what he was looking for. One interesting line of the chorus is "find me waiting there, you'll see if you just close your eyes." This may come across as someone else to talking to other person, but that's not the case. It's the same person, James, having an internal dialog, almost talking to the newer version of himself. In other words James is forecasting his new and improved self from the point of view of his current state of mind. If that's not clear, I dunno... That's as clear as I can make that to be; English isn't my first language, sorry.

That's what I think of the song. Let me know what you think, feel free to add stuff in the comments below. Peace. Keep calm and headbang.

Lyrics: 

If you close your eyes, Your life, a naked truth revealed,
Dreams you never lived and scars never healed
(Scars never healed)
In the darkness life will take you to the other side,
And find me waiting there you'll see if you just close your eyes.
If you just close your eyes.
(If you just close your eyes)

Deceived by my eyes and all I was told I should see.
Opinions not mine, The person they taught me to be.
One night in the dark of vision of someone I know,
And out of the darkness I heard a voice say I'm you.

Inside of me a light was turned on. Then I was alive.

If you close your eyes, Your life a naked truth revealed,
Dreams you never lived and, scars never healed
(Scars never healed)
In the darkness life will take you to the other side,
And find me waiting there, you'll see if you just close your eyes.
(Close Your Eyes)

Hearts uninspired, trapped inside somebody's dream.
To close to the fire, Yet cold and so numb with the pain.
But the fever is broken, and the river has run to the sea.
Washed to the ocean and saved by a voice inside me.

Inside of me a light was turned on, Then I was alive.

If you close your eyes. Your life a naked truth revealed,
Dreams you never lived and scars never healed
(Scars never healed)
In the darkness life will take you to the other side,
And find me waiting there you'll see if you just close your eyes.
(If You just close your eyes. If You just close your eyes)

Never thought I would be here, so high in the air.
This was my unanswered prayer.
Defined by another, so much wasted time,
Out of the darkness, each breath that I take will be mine.

If you close your eyes, Your life, a naked truth revealed,
Dreams you never lived and scars never healed
(Scars never healed)
In the darkness life will take you to the other side,
And find me waiting there you'll see if you just close your eyes.
If you just close your eyes.
(If you just close your eyes)

lyrics from http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/storyoftheyear/justcloseyoureyes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be automatically reviewed by the system, and by the author afterwards. So follow the guidelines listed below; failure to do so will result in your comment being removed.

- Keep comments nice and clean
- Don't include commercials/links to products
- You may include a link to your website if it's relevant

Facebook Page

Old School Followers